The Clarion is a new magazine produced by socialist activists in the Labour Party and Momentum, with the aim of promoting debate, sharing information and ideas and strengthening socialist politics. The first issue came out for Labour Party conference at the end of September 2016, the second issue on 18 November and the third issue on 13 January. From then on The Clarion will be monthly.
Signed articles are the responsibility of the authors, not of The Clarion‘s editorial panel, which professes no uniformity of views, but only a common will to create the means for comradely debate and accurate information. We aim to complement, rather than directly compete with, other publications circulating in the Labour left.
Get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org
Our editorial board changes from issue to issue, but for issue 6 it was: E M Johns, Rida Vaquas, Sacha Ismail, Simon Hannah, Rhea Wolfson, Jill Mountford, Michael Chessum, Nik Barstow and Dan Jeffery
Where we stand
The Labour Party and the entire country is standing at a crossroad.
Jeremy Corbyn’s first election as Labour leader in 2015 opened a space for socialist politics to re-emerge into the British mainstream. His re-election in 2016 showed that there are hundreds of thousands of people who want to see an end to neo-liberalism, to austerity and to the worst misery inflicted by the capitalist system. There are hundreds of thousands of people who at least aspire to a better society than capitalism. The socialist left of the labour movement has a historic opportunity now – we must seize it.
That means an open discussion on politics and principles, assisting the grassroots of the labour movement to develop our own policies and programme for a Labour government and for transforming society, building on and critically engaging with policies proposed by the leader’s office, the unions, the constituencies, and other parts of the movement
It means democratising the Labour Party, preventing further coup attempts against the leadership, and preventing further unjust purges, suspensions, and expulsions
It means facilitating debate on Momentum, its purpose and its future.
The Clarion is a contribution to those debates. In addition to to news and reports from our movement, our coverage will particularly focus on:
• Debate and discussion on class and class struggle today, and how we go beyond “new politics” and “progressive politics” to revive working-class politics.
• How we make socialism, a new society based on common ownership and need not profit, the basic, unifying goal of the left, and fight for bold socialist policies in the here and now.
• Fighting nationalism, building working-class solidarity across borders and between workers of different backgrounds and communities.
• Taking a serious and consistent approach to equality and liberation struggles.
• Standing up for rational debate and against nonsense, against the culture of clickbait, conspiracy theory and instant denunciation which has taken root in some parts of the left.
We welcome involvement from comrades who are in broad agreement with these points. We aim to complement rather than compete with the existing publications of the Labour left, and to critically engage with ideas from across the left.