Versions of this motion passed by Momentum Stevenage have been submitted to a range of union branches and other Labour movement organisations. Please submit to yours and let us know you have: email@example.com
For a range of resources on social care, see here.
Crisis in social care: fight for workers’ rights and public ownership
1. The crisis in social care, with the spread of Covid-19 facilitated by privatisation and fragmentation and the suppression of workers’ terms and conditions.
2. That possibly a majority of care workers get only Statutory Sick Pay, if that, and union organisation is relatively weak, in the face of predatory employers. Workers are under pressure to continue working even in unsafe conditions or if they or someone in their household has symptoms. Some have had to turn to foodbanks to survive.
3. That the Tories have evaded dealing with problems about lack of Personal Protective Equipment and testing, and refused to even address the issue of self-isolation/sick pay.
1. Campaigning by unions on these immediate demands. More campaigning is needed.
2. The new Safe & Equal campaign for the right of all workers to self-isolate on full pay.
3. The initiation of a Care Worker Coronavirus Action Group.
1. Unions and the Labour Party to respond to the crisis by aggressively campaigning for all care workers to get adequate PPE, testing and the right to self-isolate on full pay; by fighting to drive up pay, terms and conditions; and by vocally campaigning for comprehensive public ownership of the sector, both care homes and home care organisations, as a free public service with radically improved funding, standards, pay and conditions and workers’ rights.
2. Councils to follow Salford by ensuring all care workers in their area the right to self-isolate on full pay; and to ensure adequate PPE, testing and medical provision for all care workers.
1. To build links with care workers in our area.
2. To hold an online public meeting and invite speakers from Safe & Equal, the Care Worker Coronavirus Action Group and Reclaim Social Care, which argues for for public ownership.
3. To lobby our council/local councils for the demands set out above.
4. To raise these issues in local Labour Parties.
Let us know what you think? Write a reply? firstname.lastname@example.org