For our stock of model motions, see here.
DEFEND MIGRANTS’ RIGHTS AND FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT
1. Growing agitation against migrants, from racist street violence to increasingly “acceptable” discourse from politicians.
1. That Labour should be the party of all workers in the UK, wherever they were born.
2. That giving ground to anti-immigration views will only strengthen the nationalist right further.
3. That immigration is not the cause of stagnating wages, services stretched to breaking point or the housing crisis. Deliberate policies on behalf of the government and employers are.
3. That migrant workers have been at the forefront of many inspiring struggles to improve the situation of precarious and low-paid workers in Britain.
3. That we must combine tactfully but firmly challenging the idea that immigration is a problem with bold pro-working class policies that can win support for an agenda of solidarity and hope against the dominant agenda of scapegoating and fear.
1. To celebrate the role of migrant workers in the labour movement. Labour should make a big effort to get migrant workers, students, etc, to join.
2. To call for the party to
• stand strong and fight to defend and extend freedom of movement and migrants’ rights.
• fight hard to protect migrants’ rights, workers’ rights, social provision and environmental protections from the attacks on them that the Tories’ Brexit plans will involve.
• campaign boldly to unite communities to win increased resources in order to guarantee decent homes, services, jobs and workers’ rights for all.
Let us know if you’ve passed or plan to put this motion or a version of it: firstname.lastname@example.org